We Are Here To Pump[kin] You Up or Pumpkin Pesto

Three, me and Fairytale Pumpkins!!
I might have been born a summer baby, but my heart belongs to autumn.
 It is my favorite time of year. I love the cool kiss that greets me each time I walk outside. 
I love harvest. I love colorful leaves. I love corn mazes, apple picking and sweaters. 
I love it when hemlines drop and little fairies and monsters pop up on my street.  
I love the ancient holidays that are quietly celebrated with friends and family.

It makes sense that my husband and I celebrate our anniversary in October. It also makes 
sense that I married a man who celebrates his birthday in autumn.   

I also love to eat things in autumn and to find new ways to eat them...
This creation was the result of a nearly-bare pantry.
It's a pumpkin pesto that is fantastic as a pizza sauce,
a pasta sauce, on sandwiches or as a dip. Seriously delicious.
You can make it with pumpkin, acorn or butternut squash.

2 cups steamed, microwaved or otherwise cooked til soft yellow fleshed squash (think Pumpkin, Kubacha, Acorn or Butternut)
1 large onion
2 medium apples -- tart is good so think Granny Smith
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup Chevre, Parmesan or Pecorino Cheese
1/2 cup good olive oil (extra virgin is always a plus)
1/2 cup apple cider
1/2 cup veggie stock
2 tbsp pure maple syrup, dark agave or brown sugar
A pinch of: Salt, Spanish Smoked Paprika, Cinnamon & Pepper to Taste

Chop onion and apples. Saute in about 2 tbsp olive oil until caramelized. About 2 minutes before it's done, add half of the garlic, crushed and one of the apples. When complete, add onion mixture, seeded and steamed quash (the skin is ok, but you can skin it if you want), raw apples and garlic, olive oil, apple cider, stock and maple syrup to the blender and  blend til smooth. Before serving, add spices and cheese and blend once more. Cover with a thin film of olive oil. Use on pastas, pizzas, flatbreads, sandwiches, dips, to stuff ravioli, or add more cheese for pumpkin mac an cheese.  Store for 1-2 weeks in fridge.
1. The inspiration 2. The pesto in process 3. Flat bread with pumpkin pesto, caramelized onions, capers, apples, gouda and chevre. SO good!!!